Many CERTs across the county called to offer support and assistance during the October fires in Sonoma & Napa County. Representatives in the county’s Emergency Operations Center applauded our CERT community for their willingness to help and their availability. Since our training is in response, rather than support, and we do not have a mutual aid (traveling outside our own community to help others) component in our procedures, our role in Marin was limited in how our CERTs could help. There were many lessons learned during the weeks after the fires and work is now being done to look at how to differentiate CERTs from other spontaneous volunteers; how to utilize CERTs within Red Cross; how to establish a mutual aid system and improving communication and call-out for CERTs in the county.
Alyssa Ralston assists evacuee sorting through donated clothing.
Thank you to all the CERTs who responded to requests for assistance, including:
– Evacuation shelter at the Civic Center with donation management and evacuee support
– Tam High in Mill Valley, as we started to set up for a shelter for evacuees, which was later can-celed.
– Terra Linda High School with shelter set-up (thank you especially to Court Mast)
– Set up & running of Red Cross Shelter at Seminary in Mill Valley (thank you also to scouts & parents of Boy Scout Troop One and Pack One cub scouts & parents for their amazing help!)
– Cleaning & storage of Red Cross cots from the shelters.
CERTs assist Red Cross volunteers cleaning & storing Red Cross cots after Marin shelters closed.
Chris Shilakes and Greg Boudreaux help set up Seminary dorms for firefighters resting from fires.