Many CERTs ask what they should add to their backpack after taking the basic training, so they carry necessary items if they are deployed but keep it from being too heavy. Here are some suggestions that have been offered from our many CERT groups and classes (not necessarily in order of importance):
- Backpack with vest, helmet, goggles/ safety glasses and N95 face/dust mask (available at hardware stores)
- CERT ID badge- essential and must be up to date! If yours is expired, contact the CERT office to recertify (415-961-0907); ID’s are good for 4 years.
- Headlamp with extra flashlight (& batteries)
- Work gloves- make sure they fit YOU and made of canvas or leather
- Whistle (great idea if you are in trouble & trying to signal your team)
- Marker for marking houses ( grease pencil/ black crayon is good & available at any hardware store)
- First aid kit with latex or nitrile medical gloves (4 prs)
- Triage tags or tape (we use red, yellow & black flagging ribbon -available at most hardware stores)
- Notepad & pen/pencil
- CERT FOG (field operation guide- can be ordered at http://quickseries.com/products/cert-field-operations-guide/?query_search=cert&query=%22cert%22)
- Water bottle & 2 snack bars
- Small container of sun screen/inexpensive sun glasses
- Knee pads
- Utility tool (4 in one or Leatherman’s tool)
What else would you add?